The Shadow Forest

Monday, July 2, 2007

A Bond-Servant

I want to be a bond-servant of Christ. I do not want my life to in any way be dear to myself. But I know this can't happen by any will power or even desire alone. Especially as selfish as I am. It will only happen by the spirit. So I ask you to pray for me. I want to be ravaged by Jesus. I want to be consumed by Him. I do not want my life to be dear in any way to me. I want to live loving Jesus, and then loving others. I want that to be the rest of my life. I want to love others more than I love myself.

I want to proclaim the Gospel no matter how offensive it is, and it is offensive. Jesus is not playing around. He has severity on who He wants to have severity, and mercy on who He wants to have mercy. He calls, or He hardens hearts. He is sovereign. He saves some, and He cuts others to pieces. That is hard. It is offensive. It is a solemn truth. And yet it is a humbling, praise giving truth that demands worship. He is Lord and Master of All. I do not want to shrink back from anything that is profitable. I never want to back down from the fullness of the Gospel. I want to tell others how wonderful and amazing he is. I want everyone to know Him, and his mercy. I want everyone to enter into His joy, and His sweet love.

I want to be able to leave this world able to say these words:

"You yourselves know from the first day I set foot in Asia, how I was with you the whole time, serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which came upon me through the plots of the Jews; how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you publicly and from house to house, solemnly testifying to both Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. And now, behold, bound by the Spirit, I am on my way to Jerusalem, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit solemnly testifies to me in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions await me. But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, so that I may finish my course and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God."

Acts 20:18-24 NASB

"Therefore, I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all men. For I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole purpose of God."

Acts 20:27 NASB

I want to be a bond-servant of Christ Jesus. Please, Father.

2 comments:

Lindsey Brittain said...

Those are some great verses to pray through Kent...I've been praying Phil 2:1-18 along the same lines...good thought. =)

Hot For Discourse said...

You constantly inspire me Mr. Rabalais. I feel very blessed to know you and to be lead by you.

P.S. Tell Geoff he did a great job on Sunday.

P.P.S. Did you ever catch 'Magnolia'?